Best Garage Heaters 2020 | Reviews and Buying Guide
Hi, are you looking for an effective and safe way of warming up your garage while working in there? If so, then you need to get a garage heater. During winter temperature usually drops and your garage will be one of the least of the places you will like to be at during that time. So, to avoid this, you can either invest in the best electric heater or the best propane-fueled heater to warm your garage.
Garage heaters are available in different models, shapes, and sizes, but they can either be big heavy-duty heaters or the smaller portable models. The availability of different heater models means different powering options and different performance. The most used model is an electric model followed by fuel-powered models (natural gas, propane, and kerosene), then the infrared models.
It is hard to determine and decide on which garage heaters suits your need. This is simply because of the availability of different types of models. So, because of that, we have chosen to prepare this article to help you in determining the best garage heaters, and also a buying guide on things you should be looking for in a garage heater.
So, without further ado, let’s take a look at our top 6 best heaters of 2020 for your garage that have been examined, verified, and recommended by our senior editors.
Best Garage Heaters Comparison Table
|Mr. Heater F232017 MH9BXRV Buddy Grey Indoor-Safe Portable RV Radiant Heater (4,000-9,000-BTU)|
|Fahrenheat FUH54 UNIT HEATERS, Beige|
|Dr. Heater DR966 240-volt Hardwired Shop Garage Commercial Heater, 3000-watt/6000-watt, DR966 240V|
|Fahrenheat Ceiling-Mount Industrial Heater - 7500 Watt, Model# FUH724|
|KING KBP2406 KBP Multi-Wattage Compact Unit Heater, 5700W / 240V / 1 Ph|
|50k NEW STYLE Hydronic hanging heater, w/CORD, RHEOSTAT & THERMOSTAT!|
- Ideal for indoor and outdoor heating, thus providing flexibility to the user.
- It is a propane-fueled portable heater; hence no need for electricity which means suitable to be used even in places with no electricity.
- It guarantees high-efficiency performance with its almost 100 % clean operational ability.
- It has two heat settings –the High and Low.
- Ideal for warming a small-enclosed room.
- It has a smaller area heating capacity, therefore, not suitable for heating larger workspaces.
- It is an industrial-grade build quality heater.
- Can be mounted horizontally or vertically since it comes with mounting brackets.
- It is a very powerful heater.
- Allow you to control output direction by suing an adjustable free-mounted louver.
- IT has an In-built bracket for ceiling mounting.
- It is a space-safer heater.
- Has no power settings.
- It requires a complex electrical installation process.
- It is not perfect for warming larger spaces since it only suits both small and medium-sized garages.
- It is a very affordable heater.
- Has multiple adjustable louvers.
- Has wall and ceiling mounting brackets for ease in the installation process.
- Has a two-setting thermostat -high and low settings.
- Provides a steady heat supply making it perfect fit for large workspaces -1,000 sq. ft.
- Despite its excellent performance, this heater lacks an auto-shutoff feature that guarantees safety for users.
- Easy installation
- It is a space-saving heater since it can be mounted anywhere in the ceiling.
- Gives you the freedom to choose your desired heat setting by using single pole thermostat.
- Has adjustable louvers for ease management of airflow direction.
- This garage heater lacks the auto-shutoff protection feature for overheating hence affecting the longevity of the heate
- Ability to choose the exact temperature that you want for your garage with the aid of thermostat controls.
- Has a custom design that allows easy installation either on the wall or ceiling.
- Delivers a 5,700-watt power thus great heating ability for your garage with smart-limit protection.
- 600 square feet heating capacity.
- Easy to use, durable, and high-quality heater.
- Has a -5-year warranty.
- suitable to be used only in smaller and medium spaces, for bigger spaces you will need more than one to achieve effective heating.
- Not easy to install due to its complex wiring that requires an expert.
- It has a programmable thermostat which allows you to set your desired temperatures differently throughout the week
- Ability to control fan speed.
- Comes with a 3-year warranty that covers any production’s flaws and corrosion defects that may arise.
- It doesn’t have a variable-speed blower.
Best Garage Heaters Buying Guide:
After going through our top six list on some of the current best garage heaters, it is now time for the next step. This step is about knowing what you should be looking for in a garage heater. And since there are a lot of heaters out there, this step will be essential in helping you make the right decision on which is the best heater for your garage or workshop.
Therefore, it is not hard to pick one that suits your need only if you know what you are looking for in a garage heater. First, we start with types of heaters.
Types of Garage Heaters
Before you head into buying any garage heater, first, you should know which kind, model or style do you need that will fit well to your work space. So start by finding types of garage heaters that you can buy and that can fulfill its purpose. It can fan-forced garage heater, Infrared or radiant garage heater or Natural gas, Kerosene, propane or Diesel garage heaters.
Infrared or Radiant Garage Heaters
This is a type of garage heaters that works by directing heat to the nearby objects. They produce a more comfortable temperature than fan-forced heaters, but you will need to be close enough to them to enjoy the warmth, unlike fan-forced heaters.
Fan-Forced Garage Heaters
It is one of the most popular type of heaters that have an integrated fan and are powered by electricity. The fan-forced garage heaters work by sucking air from behind after the electricity has been converted into heat by the heating elements, and then after the air has been heated the fun also blows out that air out through the front. These heaters produce a lot of heat that quickly warms the garage.
Diesel, Propane, Natural Gas, or Kerosene Garage Heaters
This types of garage heaters are powered by fuels instead of electricity. They are portable, heats the work space quit faster since they don’t depend on electricity voltage and are suitable for heating larger spaces.
After defining your preferred kind of heater, you will then have to determine the amount of space that needs to be warmed. If it is a small space, then you will need a small heater that can heat 200 to 400 square feet depending on the amount of space in your garage. The same case will apply to medium and large space. You will choose by either having power rating or type of heater as your considerable primary key.
This is usually the third and most crucial factor to consider before buying any heater since guaranteeing your safety is an essential thing for a safe and secure environment. Features like automatic shut off due to heater being tipped over, low oxygen in garage or heater overheat should be included. Cool touch heater can be another important feature since it will protect your heater surface from overheating. This feature does not only protect you but also your heater. So, to be sure about protection assurances, you can check online reports for safety information to understand more about that heater.
If you need a garage heater that you can take it from place to place, then you need to check if it that heater is highly portable. Can you pick it up and move it around with ease? Does it have wheels or casters? –so these are some of the things you should check out first.
Does this or that heater allows you to change heat directly to your preferred direction, or does it allow you to manage fan speed? –This features are crucial because it will help you regulate direction and amount of heat produced by that heater. So be sure to check for features like a thermostat, adjustable lovers, and fan speed control.
Finally, the last but not the least and also an important thing that you should look for in garage heater. This important since it bears the questions –can you install it by yourself or expert is needed? what is the length of power cord length? Many might overlook this, but it is still relevant factor, for instance, about the length of the power cord is essential in that you can install it anywhere within your work space.
Best Garage Heaters FAQ:
What is the cheapest way to heat a garage?
How do I keep my garage warm in the winter?
By installing a garage heater, but before you do that, there are must-do things that should be accomplished first. Start by cleaning up your garage to prepare that space for free air circulation and removing cobweb and dust to avoid messy air circulation. Then head to winterizing your garage by doing insulation to seal up any leaks. You can also replace any cracked or broken areas since this will help to limit cold air outside from coming in. While doing insulation ensure you align weather-stripping properly at any to effectively seal opening –mostly in windows and doors. Then head into insulating walls by using fiberglass batt insulation, and you are now set to install your heater.
How many BTU does it take to heat a 2 car garage?
How many BTU for a 2 car garage depends on certain variables such as climate zone, your preferred temperature, and off Couse size of your garage. Also, different types of heater matter when it comes to determining the BTU needed to heat your car garage. So for force-fan heaters, you will require 45,000 BTU to heat a 2 car garage. And the low-intensity infrared tube heaters suggest that a 30,000 BTU will be adequate to heat a two-car garage. Therefore, you should note that there are variables to be considered to define BTU fit for your two-car garage.
Will a 1500-watt heater heat a garage?
Yes, it will, but it all depends on the size of that particular garage. Since a watt is equal to 1 joule of energy per second, which means 120-volt heaters are rated up to 1500-watt in their maximum settings. Therefore, a 120 volt (1500 watt) heater can effectively heat a 150 to 200 square feet of space and 5,000-watt heater can heat 400 square feet space.
Where should the heater be placed in garage?
Heater placement is a significant factor to consider to enjoy its effectiveness. Therefore, you should start by determining the cold corner in your garage, after that, make measurements within that corner from the ceiling to the bottom. Then when mounting it, make sure it is 6-7 feet from the bottom and set it at an angle such that it faces the middle of the garage. This helps in ensuring that there is even distribution of heat. The final and also most important step is to ensure that all combustible materials in your garage are around 3 feet away from the garage heater.
What is the best electric garage heater?
The best electric heater is the one that serves your need to the fullest. Despite everyone having different preferences and garage spaces, there are still essential factors that the best electric heater should have. These factors include adjustable features, inbuilt protection features, high and efficient performance, and long-lasting performance. This feature defines whether this or that electric heater is really the best.
What is the best type of electric heater for a garage?
Since a garage at most occasions is not recognized as part of the living space constructors will not install heating vents to warm it, so adding heater is the preferable solution by many. Therefore, to do this you should have a primary and clear understanding of things like watts, volts, and BTU or else you will get stuck with heater that produces less heat, or worse, a heater that doesn’t fit your standard two-prolonged outlets.
Other features you should consider to ensure that you and your garage are safe at all times is by ensuring you get the best garage heaters that will provide you with a variety of safety features regardless of the what type heater it is. Overall, thanks to us because all these factors have been addressed within this article, otherwise thanks for your time.