Best Oil Filter Wrench Reviews 2020 Everything You Want to Know
One of the maintenance routines on your vehicle is changing the oil. And when you change your vehicle oil, you must replace your oil filter as well. The oil filter is a cylindrical can-shaped device that cleans out impurities and contaminants, such as particles, debris, tars, and dirt, in the engine oil to prevent them from getting into the engine. If any of these impurities or contaminants enter into the engine, it will affect the efficiency of the engine, affect the smooth operation of the vehicle, and may subsequently damage the engine.
Since it is necessary to change the oil filter whenever the engine oil is changed, the oil filter wrench helps to make loosening the old oil filter and tightening the new replacement back on an easy thing to do. Though small, the best oil filter wrench can help you to carry out the replacement job faster and more efficiently, especially if you encounter an oil filter that is jammed. It also saves you from the risk of burning your hand since the oil filter can be very greasy and hot to handle sometimes.
There are very few universal oil filter wrenches as most oil filter removal tools come in several sizes, types, and shapes. With the wide variety of oil filter wrenches out there, it may be a bit tricky to make the right choice. That is why we have helped you to compile a list of some of the best and most versatile oil filter wrenches of 2020. Check out our reviews below.
Best Oil Filter Wrench Comparison Table
|Motivx Tools Oil Filter Wrench for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion 2.0 To 5.7 Liter Engines with 64mm Cartridge Style Oil Filter System - Perfect for Camry, RAV4, Tacoma, Highlander, Sienna, Tundra, and More|
|Channellock 209 9-Inch Oil Filter & PVC Pliers | Ideal for Engine Filters, Conduit, and Fittings | Forged from High Carbon Steel | Made in the USA|
|TEKTON 5866 12-Inch Oil Filter Pliers|
|Motivx Tools Small Adjustable Oil Filter Wrench for Removing 2.5" - 3.25" Diameter Spin-On Oil Filters|
2.5 - 3.25 Inch
|A ABIGAIL Adjustable 3 Jaw Oil Filter Wrench Tool Best for Removing Motorcycles Cars Trucks & Heavy Duty Oil Filters Fits Diameters 2 1/8-4 1/2 Inches Fits ⅜ and ½ inch Drive|
2 – 4.5 Inch
|DIFEN Universal Oil Change Filter Cap Wrench Cup Socket Tool Set (14PCS/Set)|
- The best oil filter removal tool for your Toyota, Lexus, and Scion vehicles.
- Made with high-quality 6061 T5 aluminum.
- Does not corrode – has a beautiful black anodized finish.
- Does not work on all vehicles, especially those with the 1.8L engine oil filter cap and those with traditional canister filters.
- Is not adjustable.
- Is more expensive than others.
- Multipurpose. It is not limited to vehicle oil filter alone but can also be used on equipment, fitting, conduits, PVC, etc.
- Works well on many engines with small oil filter cap especially those by Honda.
- Has a rag that prevents scratches, puncture, or dent on the oil filter cap.
- Has Channellock grips for maximum comfort.
- The product is designed to get to hard-to-reach places.
- The product is a bit heavier than other wrenches
- Vehicle must have enough room to accommodate the size of the wrench.
- The handle is too short, thin, and small, which may affect gripping ability.
- The product may not be suitable for some oil filters located in very hard-to-reach areas.
- Highly compatible on any type of oil filter system irrespective of the size.
- Has longer, strong, and non-slip grips for maximum comfort.
- The product is designed to get to more hard-to-reach places.
- Very simple to use and turns in both directions
- If adequate care is not taken, the product can scratch, distort or puncture the oil filter and cause the oil to leak. This is because the teeth on this wrench are very sharp. So, too much pressure must not be exerted on the product when using it. Therefore, use a piece of cloth or towel to prevent potential damage to your oil filter
- The product may not work if the oil filter is recessed.
- Can be used on a wide range of cars, bikes, etc.
- Has tooth-style design for good grip.
- Prevents slippage.
- Can only be used to unscrew (remove oil filter only), it cannot be used to tighten (not for installation.
- Not suitable for oil filters of larger sizes.
- Not suitable for cartridge-style oil filters or chrome-plated oil filters where you must remove the cap to reveal the oil filter element.
- Clamp oil filters very tightly.
- Great for difficult-to-reach filters.
- Highly Durable
- Low Cost.
- Can only be used to unscrew (remove oil filter only), it cannot be used to tighten (not for installation.).
- The product has too short claws, which may not easily work with some vertically-aligned oil filters.
- Though similar in function and quality to its counterparts – Snap-on and Lisle, it is less expensive.
- The product provides multiple contact points to securely engage the filter housing cap for maximum removal force.
- It is only a removal tool.
- The product is short and may fit too loosely and slip on the oil filters.
Best Oil Filter Wrench Buying Guide:
The list above presents a few of the most reliable and durable oil filter removal tools that work perfectly on most vehicles.
Note: it is advisable to use an oil filter wrench to remove the oil filter cap and not to install it. This is to prevent permanent damages to the casing. So when installing the filter, tighten it by hand and not with a wrench.
It is important to know that having an oil filter wrench in your tool pack is necessary for every car owner. This will enable you to change your oil filters on your own. However, the oil filter wrenches are not the same and are not created equal. Hence, you need to find the right oil filter wrench that works perfectly for your needs.
Yes! Different vehicles have different oil filter sizes, so you must get an oil filter wrench that would work for your specific vehicle. Here is what you should look out for when buying an oil filter wrench for your car:
Before shopping for your wrench, you need to find out the exact size of your oil filter cap. This will help you to determine whether you need a wrench for small filters or larger filters. Your filter size will help you to choose the proper wrench for the cap. You can check your filter size from the owner’s manual. Aside from the size, the location of the filter should also be checked. This will help you to know if there is enough room to accommodate the type of wrench you want to purchase.
The best oil filter wrench must be easy to use. That is, it must have strong teeth to hold the filter and a solid grip for handling. It shouldn’t be difficult for you to unscrew the oil filter cap with the wrench. A wrench with a better grip or long handles will give you more control during use.
The Material of the wrench
The material of the wrench is another important consideration. The material of the wrench should be very durable and can withstand constant use and wear. It should not easily bend, dent or break while removing the oil filter. Most wrenches are made of high-quality tough materials like aluminum or steel.
Wrenches come in different sizes, some are smaller and some are larger than others. The larger wrenches offer better grips with their long handles and can help you reach hard-to-reach places. However, some may be too small or too big to function properly considering the location of the filter.
It is normal for metals to rust or corrode over time, especially if they are in areas where they are prone to get damped. Always look out for wrenches with a corrosion-resistant finish. Wrenches with an anodized coating or finish are less likely to corrode or rust.
Features of the Wrench
Considering the different features of the wrenches will help you to make the right decision. Look at the unique characteristics of each wrench and see which wrench offers the kind of features that you will personally benefit from. Why spend money on wrenches that won’t help you.
Performance of the Wrench
Go online and read reviews about the wrench to determine the performance of the wrench. Does the wrench function exactly as it claims? Does it remove oil filter efficiently and quickly? What is the overall performance of the wrench?
Other Tools Needed
Most time, you can’t use an oil filter wrench by itself. Though some traditional wrenches can be used alone, other wrenches require mechanical tools to function like adapter or sockets. So before you purchase a new oil filter wrench, find out if you will be required to purchase other tools or not. Some wrenches come packed with the necessary tools, which makes them easier to use.
One of the reasons why you want the best oil filter wrench is to save time. So, using the wrench should not be complicated. The wrench must be very straightforward to use. More so, it should require as little effort as possible to remove a tight oil filter.
Price of the Wrench
Though this shouldn’t be the primary consideration in making your choice, you can use it as a gauge. Most highly-priced wrenches are of better quality, offer additional features, or come from a highly respected brand. So, it is important to evaluate everything that comes with the highly-priced wrenches to see if it is something you might want to invest in.
Best Oil Filter Wrench FAQ:
Who makes best cap oil filter wrench?
There are many top brand oil filter wrench in the market and the best depends on the features of the wrench and the specific need of your vehicle’s oil filter. However, some respected brands offer high-quality oil filter wrench. Some of these top brands include Channellock, Motivx Tools Small Adjustable Oil Filter Wrench, and TEKTON 12-Inch Oil Filter Pliers.
These three are our pick for the best cap oil filter wrenches. They are universal wrenches that work universally and in small spaces with difficult-to-reach oil filters. Motivx Tools has a spring-loaded claw design that prevents it from digging or slipping into the oil filter. However, TEKTON is a less expensive option.
What is the best type of oil filter wrench?
What’s the best oil filter removal tool?
How do you measure an oil filter wrench?
Oil filters usually come in different shapes and sizes depending on the manufacturers. So, it is important to measure an oil filter wrench to the right one for your oil filter?
Step 1: You need to count the number of flutes available on your current oil filter cap.
Step 2: Measure out the diameter of the oil filter by measuring it from edge to edge. You need to purchase an oil filter wrench for the same numbers of flutes but with a slightly larger inner diameter. So in case you measured your oil filter to have 14 flutes and an outer diameter of 64.94mm, a 14-flute, 76mm diameter wrench will be too big and will not fit, a 36-flute, 93mm diameter will not fit but a 14-flute, 65mm is perfect.
What size oil filter wrench do I need for my car?
What are the best oil filters?
What oil filter is best for synthetic oil?
This article discussed oil filters, what oil filters are, how they work, the need for oil filter wrench and buying guides for the best cap oil filter wrench. More so, six oil filter wrenches were reviewed. The article presented that an oil filter wrench is required to easily remove an oil filter from your vehicle.
You may decide to remove your oil filter without a wrench but this would require more force and it may also be very messy. Oil filter wrench is inexpensive and it makes more sense to buy the type of universal wrench that applies to a wide variety of oil filter sizes.
There are many options out there when you are in search of the best oil filter removal tools. You might even get confused at first. However, by carefully following our buying guide above, you would be making the right choice for your vehicle. Simply read through the above best oil filter wrench reviews and see which particular wrench fits your needs.
This article also provided answers to some frequently asked questions from consumers. Hopefully, you will find this article helpful and great.