Best Power Inverter for Car Reviews 2020 and Buying Guide
Are you one of those long-distance drivers, camping lovers, recreational users or businessmen among others who will like to keep their electrical appliances fully charged while on the road and ready to go at any moment? If yes, then you need a power inverter for car.
Being able to run a dehumidifier in your van or perhaps being able to power your laptop, dryer, air pumps or even a TV while in your car is very important in the connected world of today. Most of the cars these days come out manufacturing with a USB port inside the cabin, which is not adequate to serve you. There are plenty of devices that can’t work best with USB charging port since they offer less power to charge bigger accessories, and that is where power inverters come in handy. Power inverters make life easier by helping you convert the electric power from DC to AC, which is thus suitable for use by different accessories and appliances.
However, purchasing a suitable power inverter is not that simple as it may seem to be. There are several types of power inverters; some can be plugged directly to the car batteries while others plugged into a 12v accessory socket on the cabin. Therefore, it is challenging to identify exactly where to begin. But today we are here to help you in finding one the best power inverter for car.
After comprehensive research, here are some of the six best power inverters of 2020 that you can choose from.
Best Power Inverter For Car Comparison Table
|Energizer 1100 Watt 12V Power Inverter, Dual 110V AC Outlets, Automotive Back Up Power Supply Car Inverter, Converts 120 Volt AC with 2 USB Ports 2.4A Each|
2 AC outlets, 2 USB ports, 3 ft Cables
|Ampeak 2000W Power Inverter 3 AC Outlets DC 12V to 110V AC Car Converter 2.1A USB Inverter|
|BESTEK 300W Power Inverter DC 12V to 110V AC Car Inverter with 4.2A Dual USB Car Adapter|
2 AC outlets, 2 USB ports
|POTEK 500W Power Inverter DC 12 V to 110V AC Car Converter with Digital Display Dual AC Outlets and Dual USB Charging Ports for Tablets, Laptop and Smartphones|
2 AC outlets, 2 USB ports
|GoWISE Power PS1005 Pure SINE Wave Inverter 1500W Cont/3000W Peak|
4 AC outlets
|BELTTT Bellt 3000W Car Power Inverter 24V dc to 220V ac Pure Sine Wave Inverter Solar Battery inverters|
2 AC outlets, 1 USB ports
- Ultra Silent performance.
- Unmatched performance.
- Its exceptional ability to handle inductive loads due to its superior design.
- Another thing to like about this inverter is that its performance and safety have been Tested, confirmed, and approved on MATLAB.
- It has excellent draw readouts from wattage and battery voltage is another defining feature from this inverter.
- Finally, it has a 3-year warranty that is a hassle-free in case you need a replacement.
- This inverter can’t run two bigger devices with voltage exceeding 1100 watts at once. Trying to run two bigger appliances or tasks at once (for instance in hammer drill and hummer mode) is asking a lot from it.
- Multi-charging efficiency. This inverter is designed with multiple AC outlets, which allows you to connect more than one appliance or accessories on the go.
- Has a wide application. You only need a 12V battery to power your devices in case of a snowstorm, emergency, hurricane, outage and storm.
- AGS shell insulation –Ampeak 2000W inverter ring terminals are insulated by durable ABS shell material for all-round protection and durability.
- Ampeak 2000W Power Inverter also has a robust inbuilt protection scheme that is designed along with audible alarms and automatic shutdown protection against overvoltage. All these are designed to provide a safety measure to the user and devices connected.
- Sensitive shutdown feature –Despite auto-shutdown being good, some users have reported that this feature is susceptible and may shut down even when the desired voltage hasn’t exceeded.
- It’s first charging ability.
- It is Lightweight since Bestek 300W only weighs 1.45 pounds, which is another exciting feature.
- Durability – Credit to Aluminum alloy that provides durable housing.
- Smart cooling fan system that gives silent performance shows another attractive feature about
- BESTEK 300W Power Inverter.
- And finally 18- months warranty.
- Not suitable for airplane use and cannot be applied DC 24V car only fit to be used in a DC 12V car.
- This inverter also cannot be used with specific larger electric devices such as electric heaters and hair dryers since they can overload and blow its fuse.
- It is a portable and lightweight car inverter.
- It has a built-in cooling fan to prevent this car inverter from overheating.
- It has dual AC outlets and USB ports.
- Has a great illuminated digital display.
- Its case is made of plastic; hence, it is susceptible to easy breakage in case it is dropped.
- It has four power outlets pure three-phase waveform output (5V) each and 1 USB port (1A) for charging your devices.
- Has inbuilt cooling fans to help regulate inverter’s temperature.
- Remote control. This inverter comes with remote control for easy control.
- It is a durable, aluminium alloy design.
- Only has one USB output, which means it is limited to only one USB device.
- This inverter has an intelligent temperature control cooling system.
- It is a durable power inverter.
- It is designed with Multiple AC output sockets.
- This inverter can allow you to operate several power-hungry devices at once.
- It only has one USB port hence limiting the number of devices that can be connected at once.
Best Power Inverter For Car Buying Guide:
After going through our top six picks on the best power inverter for car, it is time now to go through everything you need to know to find, buy and install the best car inverter. There are a lot of car inverters out there and finding one that is reliable and suits your needs wouldn’t be that easy. First, you have to know the type and then factors to consider. So, let’s start with type before we head to the factors to consider while buying car power inverter.
Types of inverters.
There are two types of car power inverters based on how they are connected to the power source.
a. 12-volt inverter: generates a max power of 500W max. used for small devices such as phones and laptops.
b. Direct connection inverter/chargers: Includes high power invertersthat are used in tracks ships. It generates 1000 W and more power.Used to power bigger devices.
Factors to consider while buying a power inverter
Before you purchase any power inverter, there are a set of factors that you need to consider to get the best power inverter you are looking for. Therefore, let us quickly have look at those factors.
i. Role (what for?): This is the main part to consider since you want to define a set of tasks that your inverter will accomplish (the purpose of your inverter). For instance, you are out for camping, and you only need a good power supply, then you will have to opt for a big sized something powerful to provide sufficient power supply. And if you’re looking for something to charge your phone and tablet, then a small size 12V adapter will be suitable for that.
ii. Inverter Size: This is another crucial factor to consider, but it will majorly depend on the role of your inverter. Powerful inverters tend to be heavy and big as compared to less powerful inverters. If you need something to charge your phone and something that can easily fit in the glove compartment, then you can pick a small and less weight (weigh less than a pound) inverter.
iii. Protection features: What are the safety features that a particular inverter offers to you? This is very important since you want to protect your devices from a problem that might arise due to over-voltage, overloads, among others. The safety features also help inverter protects itself. Thus it is of paramount importance that you check out the protection/safety features too. Some inverter models have multiple fuses mounted for an extra level of protection; for instance, the premium models inverters.
iv. Inverter Price: Just like any purchase, you’re always required to have a set budget that you can stick to. This is an essential factor too since the price of these inverters varies, some are relatively cheap 20-30 bucks while others are quite expensive $200 and above. You need to get something that you can quickly pay through, and that will simply serve you to the best of your needs. Cheapest inverters will struggle to offer enough power to bigger devices. On the other hand, the most expensive inverters will provide enough power and advanced safety measures hence assuring durability and all-round protection. so choose wisely.
There you go, you have all you need to make a quality purchase.
Best Power Inverter For Car FAQ:
What is a Power Inverter?
A power inverter is a device that helps convert a Direct current (DC) power to alternating current (AC) power. Its primary purpose is to convert and step up the voltage from low DC power from a car battery to a standard AC power output. Thus this allows you to operate your devices and household electrical equipment that usually requires enough electrical power to work. All you need is a truck or car battery and an inverter, and you are ready to go.
How Does a Power Inverter Work?
First of all, you have to understand that your car battery produces direct current (DC) power supply that ranges from 12V-24V depending on the battery. The amount of power supply provided by a car battery is not enough to power and charge your devices faster and adequately. Therefore, power inverter comes in play, it helps to convert and step up 12V dc input power to around 120V power output and 24V power input to about 220V power output. That AC output power is big enough to power most of your devices at once.
So, an inverter works by converting a direct current power to a standard alternating current power supply simple!
What type of inverter do I need?
When it comes to choosing a suitable inverter, there are two types; therefore, you need to choose depending on the purpose you expect that inverter to accomplish. So, is it a 12V inverter or direct connection inverter/charger?
12V inverter: If your desired primary use is to charge your smartphone, tablet and power your laptop, then portable 12v inverter will be a better choice for you.
Direct connection inverter/charger: These types of inverters will be essential if you’re looking to power bigger devices like fridge, TV, dryers, etc. This is because they will provide enough power for you to operate effectively.
Can I use a car battery for the inverter?
Yes, you can. These inverters are specifically designed to work with cabin USB ports or to be an alternate choice, which means it will be using your car battery. A smaller inverter (12V) is intended to be connected inside your car by plugging it into a 12V charger inside your car. Hence you can easily charge your phone and laptop while on the road, and it won’t cause any issue. On the other hand, the bigger powerful inverters working with 24V input power are mostly connected directly into the car’s battery and are disconnected while driving, unlike 12V input inverters.
Note: It is advisable that you don’t drain more than 90% of your battery’s total charge and it is not a good idea to use power inverter regularly.
Can a battery get drained by using car inverters?
Yes, car inverter does drain your battery if you’re not careful. Powerful inverters quickly drain power from your battery since they allow you to connect to multiple devices. For instance, if you run a heater or hairdryer, a bigger inverter will have to drain at least 1000W from your battery hence you need to monitor it to avoid the power in your battery from being drained.
Another thing to keep in mind is that you need to disconnect your inverter whenever you are not using it mostly if you own an old model vehicle that doesn’t have auto-shutoff in the cabin charger.
Do I need an inverter with any special features?
Yes, mostly if you are using sensitive and powerful equipment such as computers. Here are some of the features that your inverter should have in the case that you are running sensitive devices.
High initial power: This feature is vital if you are running devices that have high initial power such as pumps, compressors and motors.
Models with GFCI outlets: If you are to work in a wet environment most of the time, then you will need an inverter that meets OSHA requirements. This will offer you a safe operation.
Sine wave output and fast transfer times: Model ofInverters with these features are ideal for operating sensitive devices such as network equipment and computers.
How long does a power inverter work?
Daily operation -Since every inverter depends on the battery input power, therefore, every inverter will operate as long as the input power is available.
Life span- Inverter doesn’t last forever, so when it comes to the product’s life span, it estimated to about 4-10 years depending on the usage and maintenance.
There are special features such as shut off/shutdown and cooling system that protects and helps it to last longer.
Every model comes with the definitive feature that makes it stand out from the rest. Therefore, you need to understand and clearly know what you are looking for in an inverter before hopping into any store for it. Our top six list on the best power inverter for car does not only give you a variety of quality inverters but also the recommended, reliable and approved inverters that you can happily use it over a long period.
Make sure you have gone through our buyer’s guide in order to know exactly what to look for from any inverter you are set to order or buy out there. And if consider those factors you will be able to find the best power inverter for your car with ease.
Don’t let yourself be helpless when your laptop or your phone runs out power when you can easily get an ordinary portable inverter on hand everywhere you go. Get one today and enjoy a fantastic long-lasting power supply experience. Overall, as with any product, you are liable to get what you pay for.